Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Detox--Day Thirty Three

Breakfast
10:40 Shake
Raw cashews
This morning, I got carried away working on yearbook. You know the scenario: you're only going to quickly look at something, get absorbed in it, then realize a few hours have already gone by!!!

Lunch
1:30 Shake

Dinner
5:oo Shake
Salmon, sesame oil, onions, and garlic

Snack
Crispy Rice Snacks--look below for ingredients and recipe
A few (salted) pistachios

I find it easiest to modify recipes I already use than to follow new ones, but often modify ones I find as well, out of necessity. Forget asking about the ones I make up--I take after my grandmother, great aunts, and cousins (who drove me nuts, at first) when they'd say, "a pinch of this" (more like a handful, in some cases!), or "you'll know when it looks just right (color/consistency)--there, like that, see?".

I had bought Arrowhead Mills Puffed Millet for making this very treat, but couldn't find the recipe anywhere. :-P For this part of the detox, you're not supposed to consume rice (I also have a mild intolerance to it, as does my son, which is rare). I bought the organic puffed rice for Butterscotch Crunchies to make for our company at Christmas, and when I saw this recipe on the back of the box, was ecstatic--it's almost the same recipe I had for the puffed millet! (I also subbed the puffed rice in the place of cornflakes for the Butterscotch Crunchies.)

Modified Crispy Rice Snacks

1/2 C Cashew Butter (this in the place of peanut butter)
1/2 C Honey
1/2 C Nuts, chopped--I used pistachios, and only a few
2 C Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice Cereal
(I forgot to use 1/2 t vanilla extract and 1/2 t cinnamon, but it tastes just fine this way. The other recipe I have doesn't use either of these ingredients, nor does it use the nuts.)

In a bowl, mix the cashew butter and honey. Gently stir in puffed rice 'til cereal is coated well. Keep hands wet and a bowl of water where you are working. Form walnut-sized balls out of mixture, and place on lightly oiled cookie sheet or wax paper. Allow to harden. Store in an air tight container.

Variation: Use Arrowhead Mills Puffed Millet in place of puffed rice.

Enjoy!


Water: 1234567+
Activity: None

No comments:

Visitors

http://damselsdetoxdiary.blogspot.com/